The greatest way to attain the love of Allah has
been suggested by the Qur’ān itself in the following words:
Tell them [ O Prophet ]: ‘If you do love Allah, follow
me; God will love you and forgive your sins.’ (3:31)
In other words, following the religion brought by the
Prophet (sws) is the greatest means to achieve the love of Allah. The stress in
the verse indicated by the words ‘follow me’ is very very meaningful. It implies
that it is only the guidance brought down by the Prophet (sws) which must be
followed by Muslims. All concepts and beliefs which are contrary to the Qur’ān
and Sunnah must be shunned by them.
Based, on the guidance brought by the Prophet (sws), the
celebrated scholar Ibn Qayyim has presented a ten point program to attain the
love of Allah in his famous book Madāriju’l Sālikīn. Imam Amin Ahsan Islahi has
summarized this program in the following words:
1. Study the Qur’ān while deeply pondering over its
verses to obtain guidance from it.
2. Besides offering the obligatory Rak‘ats of prayer,
offer some additional ones to attain the nearness of Allah.
3. Always remain busy with Allah’s Dhikr through your
tongue as well as your deeds.
4. When worldly desires overcome you, leave them and
adopt ways to please Allah.
5. Acquaint yourself with Allah’s Attributes and keep
them in your remembrance.
6. Always keep your eyes on the favours and blesings of
7. Be humble right from your heart.
8. Pray and worship Allah especially during the time He
descends on the heavens of this world.
9. Spend time with pious and noble people.
10. Refrain from all those things which come between you
and your Allah. (Islāhī, Tadhkiya-i-Nafs, 1st ed., vol. 2, [Lahore: Faran
Foundation, 1989], p. 66)